BROOKLYN, N.Y. September 9, 2016 –(BUSINESS WIRE)–Home furnishings retailer West Elm will open its first Coastal Georgia location on Thursday, September 15 at 10 a.m., bringing approximately 30 jobs to Savannah. Located at 214 Drayton Street, West Elm occupies 10,517 square feet of a Mid-century modern building at the center of the city’s National Historic Landmark District. As part of West Elm’s LOCAL program, 10 Georgia-based makers and artisans will sell their products within the store’s fall assortment of modern furnishings and décor, and a complimentary Design Lab will offer services that support customers in their journey to express their personal style at home.
“We have long admired Savannah’s rich historic legacy and successful preservation efforts,” said West Elm president Jim Brett. “And we look forward to becoming part of its diverse community by connecting with neighbors and local businesses, and supporting the city’s unique architectural, arts and design culture.”
Located within the former office building of the Georgia Department of Labor Employment Security Agency, West Elm conserved elements of the 1962 structure in compliance with Savannah’s Historic District Zoning Ordinance. The spirit of the original design was maintained for the building’s main facade, including its exterior canopy and other architectural arrangements characteristic to its Mid-century heritage. The cornerstone monument, one of the building’s main features, was carefully preserved and thoughtfully incorporated into West Elm’s main entrance. The store’s interior also reflects influences from the 1960’s, including a cash wrap constructed of reclaimed redwood fashioned in a lattice pattern that mirrors the ornamental wrought ironwork, a traditional common denominator of Savannah homes.
To celebrate the opening, West Elm has partnered with Savannah-based artist and illustrator Zachary Smith to design an exclusive tote bag that will be presented to the first 300 shoppers with a $50 minimum purchase. Additional store opening activities include a sweepstakes* offering local customers a chance to win a $2,000 gift card, and a special invitation to a private pre-opening celebration on Wednesday, September 14 from 6p.m.– 8 p.m. to benefit the Historic Savannah Foundation, a leading preservation organization committed to preserving and protecting Savannah’s heritage through advocacy, education and community involvement.
A selection of locally made products by 10 Georgia-based makers and artisans will be available as part of the Savannah LOCAL assortment including:
- Block & Hammer: A duo with a focus on hand-stamped vintage silverware and men’s accessories.
- Farmwood Press: A line of letterpress stationery and gifts known for its “Clever Little Cards.”
- Gus & Lula: A collection of art prints and quotes originally started as a fundraiser to cover adoption costs for a couple’s two children from Ethiopia.
- Jessica Durrant: An artist specializing in watercolors and illustrations with a fashion, travel, and lifestyle theme.
- Kleo’s Handcrafted Soaps: A Savannah-based manufacturer of quality vegan bath products and handmade candles.
- Lamon Luther: A woodworking company making handmade products and employing and empowering those affected by homelessness and addiction.
- Margaret Vera: A designer of handcrafted leather handbags and women’s fashion accessories.
- Native Bear: A line of modern bohemian stationery and gifts inspired by 1970’s interiors and natural elements.
- Southern Pine Company: A Savannah-based organization focused on salvaging, reclaiming, preserving, restoring and supplying vintage old-growth wood for renovation and new construction.
- Strawberry Moth: A Savannah-based illustrator and screenprinter, selling art, patches, and unique products for children and fun-loving adults.
For up-to-date information on in-store promotions and events, customers are encouraged to Like the store page on Facebook: facebook.com/westelmsavannah and follow the store on Instagram: @westelmsavannah. West Elm Savannah opens Thursday, September 15 at 10am. The store hours are Monday-Saturday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sunday 12 p.m.-6 p.m. The store’s address is 214 Drayton Street, Savannah, GA 31401 and the phone number is 912-238-9574.
About West Elm
Headquartered in Brooklyn, NY since 2002, West Elm opened its first store in DUMBO, the neighborhood it still proudly calls home. With the mission of helping customers express their personal style at home, everything West Elm does is designed to make an impact in everyday life, from creating unique, affordable designs for modern living to its commitment to Fair Trade Certified, from LOCAL and handcrafted products to community-driven in-store events and collaborations. The brand operates 91 retail stores in the United States, Australia, Canada and the UK, ships internationally to customers around the world and operates 11 stores in Mexico, the Middle East and Philippines through unaffiliated franchisees. In addition to home furnishings retail, West Elm operates West Elm Workspace with Inscape in the commercial furnishings industry. West Elm publishes the blog Front+Main and is part of an active community on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and YouTube. West Elm is a member of the Williams-Sonoma, Inc. portfolio of brands.
*Open only to residents that live within the Savannah, GA area. Official rules of the sweepstakes can be found on the Savannah Sweepstakes page.
SOURCE: Williams-Sonoma Inc.